I’ve been looking for ideas on how to best implement iPads in my school. Here are some resources I’ve found particularly useful:
- Kolbe Catholic College 1:1 program
- Victorian iPad Trials iPads for Education
- Ringwood North Primary School
To help with the process of implementing Mobile Technoligies we adapted the Victorian iPads for Education Model
The top decisions we faced for our Mobile Learning trials included these challenging questions:
- Who’s on the team? We realised we needed to ensure decsion-makers and key stakeholders are involved early. Our team included Principal, Assistant Principal Teaching and Learning, Business Manager ICT Coordinator and Technical Support Officer.
- Why technology in education? We mapped out our beliefs about the impact of technology on learning including mapping to the PYP Elements and found technology impacts learning positively in almost all areas. We also explored what Learning with Rich Technology might look like.
- Which technologies? Already an Apple school, we narrowed the scope or our research to Apple Mobile Learning Technology. This included MacBooks, iMacs, MacBook Airs and iPads.
- Which Ownership Models? BYOT, School-owned, Staff-owned, Parent-owned, hybrid?
- Which Management Models? Securing, charging, access restrictions, purchasing etc… Who manages and controls these to meet the needs of the learners and keep risks to the organisation in check?
- Which use models? How many do we need? 1:1, shared, who shares? What hurdles do we need to jump through if we share devices that are meant to be personal?
- Which Support Models? What will the impact be on Tech Support requirements? What support is really required? Technical? Pedagogical?
- Who is responsible? for learning? risk? App purchasing and selection? Workflow and backup?
- Which professional learning models? Teachers as learners, each one teach one, hub groups, lead learners?
I’m sure there are many more decisions to make when choosing to implement iPads. I look forward to comments and ideas.